11 March 2019

Trusting the One Who Sees What We Can't See



            This weekend I had to drive home in some pretty dense fog after dark.  I prayed before I left, and the road in front of me and the traffic around me stayed visible through the duration of the trip.  I was thankful to have the visibility I needed to drive confidently and get where I needed to go, but I still hated not being able to see much to either side of the road.  The deer are plentiful in this area, and though it was past dusk, I remained tense and alert to anything that might jump out in front of me.  The fog that swallowed up the fields and creeks around me brought back memories of cloudy, new moon nights of driving in the sparsely populated expanses of Wyoming.  The darkness was so heavy that it almost made me feel like I was suspended in space and about to fall.  Driving in oceans of fog or darkness, with all of the hidden creatures and landscapes, is just an eerie, unsettling experience when I focus on all of the unknowns and what-ifs of the unseen.             

            The same discomfort and fear creeps into my heart sometimes when I focus on the unknowns of what I can’t see in my life.  Often, God only shows us just what we need to get where He wants us to go.  Most of us don’t like that.  We think that if we could just see a little bit of the future – or all of it for that matter – that we could make better choices and avoid ever getting hurt.  We want the sense of control that comes with being able to make independent decisions based on all available information without having to trust God.  Yet, Jesus submitted Himself to the Father and trusted Him.  Jesus endured unspeakable suffering and hardship because the prize was worth the pain.  We do not become more like Christ by living independently or by seeking trouble-free lives.  Someday, we will in practice be what we are already in position – complete and mature in Christ.  In that day, there will be no more tears, sorrow, pain, or death.  But for now, we sometimes need the chipping, the burning, and the scraping of hardship to shape us, strengthen us, and refine us.  God knows this, and He also knows that most of us would run from it if we could.  In doing so, we would remain ineffectual, incomplete, and infantile in our spirituality and in our mission. 

            I still remember sitting at Donna’s (one of my primary Bible teachers and mentors) house and talking about this very thing during my high school years and first couple years of college – years that for many involve lots of big decisions in the midst of a sea of unknowns and waiting.  She told me that if God did allow us to see everything, we would more than likely wish He hadn’t.  He gives us strength to face the things that we have to face today.  There might be a lion waiting for us on the road ahead, and if we were to see it now, we would be faint or paralyzed in fear.  We would be distracted from the things that we needed to face today.  Knowledge is not always empowering; sometimes, it is crippling.  God is merciful in showing us just what we need to see when we need to see it, and He gives us the strength that is needed when it is needed – not before.

            Just like He gave me the visibility I needed to get home this weekend, God has given us exactly what we need to be able to do and to become what He asks of us today.  We do our part by obeying and submitting to what He has revealed.  We allow ourselves to be made better in our suffering instead of being made bitter.  We remain alert and prepared for the deer that may jump out as we follow the path before us, but we do not cower in fear or grasp for desperate control of the uncontrollable.  We do what God has set before us, and we trust Him with the rest.  He loves us, and He is trustworthy.                                


Don't forget to find We Are Seen on social media or sign up for e-mail updates!
(I promise not to spam you ☺)

1 comment: