22 April 2019

The Way (Part 4): What Must I Do to Be Saved?


            At one of our high school small groups on Wednesday night, the students were asked what they feel like their generation is seeking.  One answer was autonomy: they want the freedom to make all their own decisions and do what they want to do without depending on anyone else.  Inwardly, I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony.  I remember feeling that way as a teenager, but now there are days when I would love to go back to the time before I had to carry the weight and responsibility of being an adult.  For example, I hate driving.  I enjoy the freedom I have to get where I need or want to go, but I struggle with pretty severe anxiety over having all potential consequences placed squarely on my own shoulders.  The first time I drove, I couldn’t even bring myself to step on the gas pedal for several minutes.  I just coasted in a big, open lot until my patient dad couldn’t take it anymore.  Growing up, I didn’t give riding with my parents a second thought.  The weaving semis, hidden deer, wild cars, and rising speed didn’t scare me because I depended on, relied on, believed in, and trusted my parents completely.  I knew they would protect me and get us all where we needed to go.  Nothing was required of me in order to reach our destination other than to rest in the back seat and wait. 

            In part one, we discovered that God’s demand to be in His presence is perfection.  Next, we saw in part two that even though we were created to be in a relationship with God, our sin separated us from Him.  Nothing we can do can repair that relationship, and the just penalty for our sin is death (physical, spiritual, and eternal).  God loves us, so we heard the good news in part three that He paid the price of our sin to satisfy His own holy and just demand by sending His son Jesus.  Jesus took the full wrath for the past, present, and future sins of all people in all times and places when He died on the cross, and His resurrection proved that God accepted His sacrifice as full payment.  Jesus died for all, but not all will be saved.  God’s Word tells us exactly what our response needs to be in order to have the gift of Jesus’s righteousness credited to our account and to live in His perfect presence forever.  We must believe in Jesus, and Him alone, for salvation.  This is how we accept the gift. 

            Saving belief in Jesus is not a factual head knowledge like believing the sky is blue.  Even Satan and the demons themselves believe that Jesus is a real person, that He died on the cross, and that He came back to life.  They witnessed it and know it to be true.  No, the belief that results in salvation is similar to the belief I had in my parents when I rode in their car.  It is a belief that trusts in, relies on, and depends on Jesus completely as the one way to salvation based on his death and resurrection.  It is resting in His completed work to get us where we need to go.

            It sounds too easy, so many people try to add requirements.  They say you must be baptized in water, read your Bible, pray, go to church, give to the needy, serve in soup kitchens, go on mission trips, give up all your bad habits, make Jesus Lord over every aspect of your life, and/or complete many other good deeds before you can be saved.  Even though all these are good, and God calls us to them for His glory, to reach more people, and to grow us into becoming the people He originally created us to be in His image, Isaiah 64:6 tells us that they are still only filthy rags (menstrual rags) compared to Christ’s righteousness.  We have to have Christ’s righteousness credited to our account in order to be saved, and that happens when we believe in Him alone for salvation.  His righteousness alone can save us.  Good deeds are simply a natural out-flowing of our reconciled relationship with Christ as we stay close to Him.  Romans 4:5 says in no uncertain terms: “But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness.”  Ephesians 2:8, 9 also makes this point abundantly clear: “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one can boast.”  This great salvation is simple as far as what our response needs to be, but it was not easy or cheap.  Remember what Jesus went through.  Remember His sacrifice.  The gift of our salvation came at great cost.  How foolish we are to think that anything we could do could add value to the precious gift Jesus already paid for and offers freely to all who will believe in Him.    

            After quoting Romans 4 and Ephesians 2, I also want to bring some clarification to a word that is so often abused, misused, and misunderstood: faith.  Biblical faith is not some mystical wishy-washy concept that floats around the heads of those who don’t have their feet firmly planted in reality.  God has told us in His Word, the Bible, exactly what faith is.  “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1).  In other words, it is a strong, confident belief that has no problem with its object being unseen.  Faith for faith’s own sake does not save anyone and can actually be foolish.  The object of the faith is what matters.  I could have faith that my three-year-old nephew could drive me to the grocery store, but that faith would be sorely misplaced, and it would not result in anything remotely good.  Many children have faith in an invisible friend, but that friend does not exist no matter how sincere their faith is.  I have faith (a strong, confident belief) in Jesus now, even though I cannot see Him, because of the very real evidence He left behind that He is the way, the truth, and the life.  But that’s a topic for another day.  Faith, or belief, only results in salvation if it is placed in the right person, Jesus, because that person is the one doing the saving.

            If you haven’t yet believed in Jesus, know that He loves you, and no matter what you have done or what has been done to you, you are not too far gone for Him to save.  You don’t have to clean yourself up before trusting Him to save you.  Believe in Him now, and He will bring about transformation in your life as you grow in your relationship with Him.  He has paid the steep price to be able to offer you this gift.  You can be all you were created to be and be fully and finally satisfied in your relationship with Him.  He just asks you to accept His gift by believing in Him.  Trust Him, and like I find rest when I ride in a vehicle driven by someone I trust, you too will find rest for your soul.                    





Don't forget to find We Are Seen on social media or sign up for e-mail updates!
(I promise not to spam you ☺)


No comments:

Post a Comment