22 May 2017

Eyes to See and Ears to Hear


            For some, last Monday's storm was an annoyance.  It caused the cancellation of sporting events and forced everyone to go indoors.  We were relaxing in our hammock in the back yard when we noticed that the dogs were getting antsy.  After looking at the radar, we decided we should cut our hammock time short.  My husband was not pleased.

For some, last Monday's storm was an exhilarating treat.  Thunderstorm lovers all over the Nebraska panhandle went out on their porches to take pictures and videos of the magnificent display.  They filled up everyone's Facebook feeds with the results along with excited statuses of admiration.  My husband is one such enthusiast, and he wishes he could be a storm chaser.  I usually prefer to appreciate storms from a safe distance.  

Picture by Brenda Houser
For some, last Monday's storm was destructive.  It hurled sizable chunks of ice at houses, vehicles, gardens, and crops.  We didn't get the hail, as far as I know, but our poor lilac bush was still stripped bare from the force of the rain and the wind.  

For me, above the annoyance, the exhilaration, and the destruction,  last Monday's storm turned out to be a comforting reminder of God's presence.

Early that Monday morning, my reading for the day was in Psalm 29.  I love that Psalm.  The first time I heard my husband teach God's Word (which was while we were dating), he taught through Psalm 29.  My first textual message for Women Teaching Women at school was over that Psalm.  The masterful use of imagery by the Psalmist grips me and blows my mind as it crescendos into a glorious climax of worship.  Psalm 29 has always had a special place in my heart, but this week it gained even more personal significance.  You see, Psalm 29 uses a poetic description of a thunderstorm to portray God's power and sovereignty.

The fact that God orchestrated my Bible reading and the storm to occur on the same day was cool enough.  It was as though He said, “Here are my words (which alone are sufficient), but I’m not going to stop there.  On top of that, I’m going to give you a visual and tangible demonstration of exactly what I’m trying to communicate to you.”  How awesome is that?  However, one more piece of this story just sends it through the roof for me.  My reading of Psalm 29 and the thunderstorm occurred the day before my appointment to have my next fertility test done.  God saw my nerves, and He reassured me that He was in control.  He saw my powerlessness, and He reassured me of His power.  He saw that I would have to walk into the intimidating X-ray room alone, and He reassured me of His presence.  God saw me, but if I hadn't been paying attention, would I have seen Him?  God spoke to me through His Word, but if I hadn’t taken the time to slow down, would I have heard it?     



No comments:

Post a Comment