19 March 2018

Willing Masterpieces

     
Photo by Samuel Castro on Unsplash
   
      Artists are fascinating to watch.  For a while, their work doesn’t look very impressive.  Some strokes may seem misplaced, and the colors might look all wrong.  However, the more they work, the more the image begins to take form.  Sometimes, the artwork will get to a point where it still looks a little vague, but then the artist will do something simple – like adding a single stroke, turning on a back light, or flipping the canvas upside down – that changes everything.  Suddenly, the artist’s true talent and ultimate design are unveiled.  The audience is able to see what the artist had in mind all along.

       We are God’s masterpieces (Eph. 2:10), but we aren’t finished yet (Phil. 1:6).  Being a masterpiece in progress can be frustrating.  The strokes and colors that God adds to our lives might not be anything remotely like what we would have chosen.  When His choices don’t make sense to us, we wonder if we will end up like the big grayish-brown splotches that kids paint when they get too over-enthusiastic about mixing colors.  No one wants to be a grayish-brown splotch.

       In those times, we think that we know better.  Out of fear or pride, we try to take away the brush.  We want our will and our way in our time (Check out Pastor Eric’s message titled David Pt 4 from yesterday morning - it might not be posted until later this week).  Terrible messes result when we take matters into our own hands.  In Exodus 2, Moses saw the suffering of his people, and he took it upon himself to kill an Egyptian slave driver who was beating a fellow Hebrew.  His crime was revealed to Pharaoh, and he had to flee for his life.  Thankfully, God is very good at completing His ultimate design no matter what messes we manage to make.  God did eventually free the Israelites, and He even used Moses to do it, but it was in His will, His way, and His time.

       God calls us to willingly be His masterpieces – to bend our will and ways to His and wait for His time.  Some colors are dark, and some strokes are painful and confusing.  Godly character is not produced through ease.  However, we can trust that the Artist who paints the sunsets knows what He is doing, and that the end result will be good and beautiful when it is seen in its entirety.  Someday, we will be finished, and we will praise the Artist with a better and more complete understanding.  Until then, we praise Him and trust Him by faith even though we cannot yet see clearly.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! I just started reading Francine Rivers' new book The Masterpiece, so far so good...this post reminded me of that! I love that he is not finished with me yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve seen that book advertised in my FB newsfeed a few times, and I really enjoyed the other books I’ve read by her, so I might have to check it out soon! Yes, I am so glad He is not finished with me yet either!

      Delete
  2. "Thankfully, God is very good at completing His ultimate design no matter what messes we manage to make." This is so good and so true. Sometimes no longer how it takes us, or what crazy wrong turns we take, His design and plan will prevail. That's encouraging to know that I won't screw it up! And I also love the part about waiting for His time. This is something I know to be true, but this week, the wait became hard as something was in front of me. Somedays are definitely harder than others, but we can have confidence that He will accomplish what He sets to accomplish through us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! I’m so sorry you had a harder week. I can definitely relate to struggling with accepting God’s timing even though, like you said, we know that His time is best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good! I'm so happy to have the ultimate artist masterfully create and paint my story! Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this illustration- I’ve thought this before and wondered what my painting looks like- and I’m pretty sure it’s an abstract ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once heard that our lives are kind of like big huge puzzles. We only get to see a few pieces at a time, as the Lord works to put everything together. I like this illustration so much better. I love that we serve an artist who is creating a masterpiece out of our lives.

    ReplyDelete