17 July 2017

There's No Place Like Camp

For two weeks this summer, I was immersed in a sea of braided hair, dirty feet, sunburned faces, and bracelet-adorned wrists and ankles.  Everywhere I looked, I could see water bottles, hammocks, ukuleles, guitars, and flashlights.  The distinct aromas of campfire smoke, porta potties, sunscreen, bug spray, and sweat were my constant company.  My ears heard laughter, hoarse voices, dad jokes, unique nicknames, competitive chants and cheers, spontaneous singing, passionate Bible teaching, and powerful testimonies.  I both enjoyed the beauty of God's creation and sought out higher ground to avoid the less savory of God's  creatures (e.g., mice, black widows, ticks, snakes, tarantulas, tarantula hawks, and ungodly sized beetles).  There's no place like camp. 

Maranatha Bible Camp and Grace Haven Bible Camp are two very different camps; yet, they both strive to create an environment where campers can get away from all the junk of life and slow down long enough to hear God speak.  At Maranatha, we had the privilege of leading a group of students from Mitchell Berean for senior high week.  This involved leading small group discussions, leading "Ecc Time" for our church group, and overall supervision responsibilities for our group.  Jon also taught about the fruit of the Spirit during the "Grow Group" sessions, which included students from other churches.  For Grace Haven, Jon prepared 10 lessons on the attributes of God as the primary speaker.  I tagged along and enjoyed camp without having a specific role.  I was also able to catch up with a few former campers whom I had counseled at Grace Haven back in 2013, which was super cool and encouraging! 

As stretching as camps can be, they are some of my absolute favorite places.  Here are a few reasons why:

1) Camp is fun!  Laughter, play, and songs are commonplace.
2) Fears are faced, and courage is gained. 
3) Opportunities for encouragement and service abound. 
4) New relationships are formed, and old ones are strengthened.
5) The unity and deep fellowship of believers is experienced in a profound and unique way.
6) Great conversations take place.
7) Biblical truths are grasped for the first time.
8) Wounds begin to heal.
9) The fact that God is indeed working becomes very evident.
10) Hearts and lives are changed. 

            Words seem so insufficient to describe what camp is for many people: what it has been for me in my own spiritual walk.  I am so thankful for the opportunities that we had this summer to take part in a ministry that is so near to my heart!  

No comments:

Post a Comment